I've been looking a bit at the inter-dependencies that exist between the
different tetex packages. F.e. the fact that tetex-xdvi currently needs
tetex (see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=11721
All this is caused because not all files have been moved into the
correct packages. For some files this is rather obvious, for others it's
more tricky to establish to which package they should belong.
My proposal is to move a couple of files from the other tetex packages
(mainly from tetex itself) to tetex-fonts, in essence making tetex-fonts
a kind of tetex-common package. However no name change or split off is
Dependencies would then become as follows:
tetex, tetex-dvips and tetex-afm require tetex-fonts
tetex-xdvi and tetex-latex require tetex-dvips
(doesn't tetex require tetex-dvips? If it does drop dependency on
-fonts, and -latex's dependency on -dvips.)
tetex-latex requires tetex
(need to investigate tetex-afm a little more)
Changes to /usr/share/texmf:
- All fonts, including sources and japanese (from tetex-dvips) fonts to
tetex-fonts (/usr/share/texmf/fonts/*). Sources are needed to generate
font definitions in /var/lib/tex.
- /usr/share/texmf/fontname to tetex-fonts (not really necessary, but as
tetex-fonts is the central package this is probably a good idea).
- /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/XDvi is required by tetex, so can't move to
tetex-xdvi. Move to tetex-fonts so it's available to both tetex and
- Parts of /usr/share/texmf/web2c to tetex-fonts, namely mf-nowin.base,
mf.base, mf.pool, mfw.base, plain.base, mktex.opt, mktexdir,
mktexdir.opt, mktexnam, mktexnam.opt and mktexupd. Necessary for
creation of font definitions in /var/lib/texmf.
- All .cnf and .cfg files to tetex-fonts.
Changes to /usr/bin:
- Move the following binaries to tetex-fonts (all but mfw from tetex):
MakeTeXPK, access (needed by texhash), fmtutil, gftodvi, gftopk, gftype,
gsftopk, inimf, kpsepath, kpsestat, kpsetool, kpsewhich, kpsexpand, mf,
mf-nowin, mft, mfw (from tetex-xdvi), mktexfmt, mktexlsr, mktexmf,
mktexpk, mktextfm, ps2pk, texhash(required by %post scripts) and virmf.
Necessary for creation of font definitions in /var/lib/texmf.
Changes to docs and man pages:
- kpathsea and web2c info to tetex-fonts
- relevant man pages to tetex-fonts
- libkpathsea.a and /usr/include/kpathsea headers to tetex-fonts
(separate tetex-devel package?).
- Cron job to remove unused font definition files to tetex-fonts.
- /usr/share/texmf/ls-R and /var/lib/texmf/ls-R files to tetex-fonts.
The above changes fix xdvi's dependency on tetex. A spec file (for FC 1)
can be found attached to the above bug report. It's quite possible a few
more files need to change packages before this is entirely correct. To
test correctness of this spec file the various /var/lib/texmf/
directories need to be removed so they can be regenerated on (first)
invocation of xdvi (or other programs). Dependencies for tetex-afm might
not yet be satisfied (if they are please let me know).
mount -t life -o ro /dev/dna /genetic/research