My name is Robert Wright (fas/irc: rwright) and I live in Poole, UK.
I found out about Fedora Marketing after reviewing the sub projects on the
Fedora Wiki, and am currently interested in how I can volunteer some of my
time to building out long term marketing support for the project. I’ve
worked volunteer roles in the past with Campaign groups, as well as
Conventions (Sci-fi/Anime/Gaming) and am used to the stress that comes with
wrangling volunteers as well
This would be my first true marketing project I’ve worked on, but in my day
job, I work as a Product Manager, and am skilled in preparing materials and
supporting both marketing and sales for my products I manage today in my
role. I want to volunteer to help me learn more skills I can apply to other
areas of my life professionally.
My skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:
- Product / Platform Management, including customer journey planning,
user research, and using design thinking methods (ideas, ideas, ideas!!)
- Community Management and Marketing, working for a Convention back in
Boise, ID, I learned a lot about print media as well as digital marketing
(Google Ads, planning and designing Social Media campaigns, survey design
and analysis, and building by-mouth campaigns to drive interest).
- Software Engineering, mostly in a PHP and PostgreSQL/MySQL
environment, but am learning Python as the community here has really
embraced Python in the culture of Fedora’s infra.
I wanted to learn more about long term projects, including what projects
could use some support, and how I can pitch in to help generate content for
the next release.
I am excited to hopefully start contributing with you all!
I did a Fedora Classroom about Docs Writing 101  and I'd like to publish
the recording to the Fedora YouTube channel.
Would that be a good fit? If so, what's the best way of getting the video
from me to the channel?
I mentioned today, during a talk with Justin that it might would be an
idea to also provide material on the "Fediverse"
Mastodon is growing pretty fast right now and got more than a million
users within the past 2 years or so. Most of them are positive towards
tech, free software and diversity and could be a great win this way.
Also there are a lot creative minds and organizations like Gnome have
official accounts there.
Of course we need to generate content on them. That's why there is a
cross poster for twitter as a first step.
And since we talked today about the possible need of more design people,
we may find some creative minds there too, as there are some instances
that are about art and design :)
I'm going to take some time to organize the pending work, clean up the
previous tickets (before mindshare) and work on the priority things
The main idea is recover the momentum and have at least a (bi?)weekly
see you the next meeting :)
#fedora-meeting: Fedora Marketing (2018-08-07)
Meeting started by bt0 at 13:05:39 UTC. The full logs are available at
* Agenda (bt0, 13:06:57)
* (1) Roll call / Q&A (bt0, 13:07:16)
* (2) Announcements (bt0, 13:07:17)
* (3) Open floor (bt0, 13:07:36)
* Roll call / Q&A (bt0, 13:08:47)
* Name; Timezone; Sub-projects/Interest Areas (bt0, 13:09:04)
* Alberto Rodriguez Sanchez; UTC-5; CommOps, Marketing, Infra,
Ambassadors, Fedora-Join and more (bt0, 13:10:19)
* Announcements (bt0, 13:18:50)
* ===Fedora’s Documentation Website has been overhauled === (bt0,
* LINK: https://fedoramagazine.org/fedora-docs-overhaul// (bt0,
* === FPgM report: 2018-31 === (bt0, 13:20:33)
* LINK: https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/fpgm-report-2018-31/
* === Call for Outreachy mentors for Winter 2018 === (bt0, 13:21:32)
* === FLOCK 2018 === (bt0, 13:22:25)
* LINK: https://flocktofedora.org// (bt0, 13:22:25)
* === Fedora Women's Day === (bt0, 13:25:21)
* Important dates (bt0, 13:28:29)
* Submission deadline: Thursday, 16 August 2018 (bt0, 13:28:30)
* Acceptance deadline: Friday, 24 August 2018 (this is the latest
you hear from the D&I Team if your proposal is accepted) (bt0,
* Suggested FWD dates: 22-23 September 2018 (bt0, 13:28:30)
* Open floor (bt0, 13:32:56)
Meeting ended at 13:48:18 UTC.
Action Items, by person
People Present (lines said)
* bt0 (56)
* zodbot (6)
Alberto Rodriguez Sanchez <bt0dotninja(a)fedoraproject.org>