I have been having problems related to my Plasma 25 install on multiple levels.
1. Sound is unclear and there is a lot of noise. I also hear random crackle/blip from time
to time. There a blip I hear when I connect my earphones.
This all seems like a hardware problem to me. Possibly the speakers on my 2 month old
system have give up. I tried older ISO to see if it is a software problem but it occurs on
older version of Fedora and Ubuntu too.
That being said the biggest problem is software based.
2. The earphone detection is broken. It has a mind of its own. It may or may not recognize
my earphone. I have to either kill pulseaudio or restart session to get sound.
3. Audio settings tell me there are three recording devices on my system - Internal
Microphone, Microphone, and Headphone Microphone. The first and last one makes sense but
not the Microphone. Which device is it?
Do you guys have similar experiences or ideas on how to fix it?
Show replies by thread
1. I had the Dell guy replace the speakers. Sound is still broken. If I plug-in my
earphone then speakers are permanently off. I have to restart the system to get the broken
The beep sounds okay in the diagnostics so this may be a software problem.
2. Headset Microphone detection is broken. Plasma can't detect if I am using a headset
with microphone and switch to it. In Ubuntu Unity when I plug-in I get an option to
choose if I am using headphone or a headset. In the case of later it also switches input
audio port to headset microphone.